I've been thinking a lot about what kind of things I want to spend my energy on, what tools, software or services might be needed and what people will actually use. I've come up with a few ideas myself but I also asked ChatGPT:
Come up with software ideas that can be made with an open-source license to help the greater good and the betterment of the human race.
Yes, I realize how dramatic the question is, but I wanted to get dramatic answers from ChatGPT. Here are some of the ideas it came up with:
- Healthcare Management System: Develop an open-source software solution for managing patient records, appointments, and medical data, facilitating efficient healthcare delivery and improving patient care.
- Disaster Management Platform: Create an open-source platform that enables better coordination and communication during natural disasters, facilitating real-time information sharing, resource allocation, and emergency response planning.
- Sustainable Energy Monitoring: Build an open-source software tool that allows individuals and organizations to monitor and optimize their energy consumption, promoting energy efficiency and encouraging the use of renewable energy sources.
- Education Platform: Develop an open-source learning management system or educational platform that offers free access to quality educational resources, courses, and interactive tools, enabling lifelong learning for all.
- Civic Engagement App: Create an open-source mobile application that connects citizens with their local governments, enabling them to report issues, participate in community discussions, and collaborate on improving their neighbourhoods.
- Environmental Conservation Tracker: Build an open-source software solution that helps track and monitor environmental indicators such as air quality, water pollution, and deforestation, empowering individuals and organizations to take action for environmental preservation.
- Mental Health Support App: Develop an open-source mobile app that provides resources, tools, and access to mental health professionals, promoting mental well-being and reducing the stigma associated with mental health issues.
- Volunteer Management Platform: Create an open-source platform for managing volunteer programs and coordinating volunteers' efforts, facilitating efficient organization and engagement in social initiatives and community projects.
- Open Data Analysis Tool: Develop an open-source data analysis tool that allows users to explore, analyze, and visualize publicly available datasets, promoting transparency, accountability, and evidence-based decision-making.
- Food Waste Reduction App: Build an open-source mobile application that connects food establishments, charities, and individuals to redistribute surplus food, minimizing food waste and addressing hunger and food insecurity.
So, what do I take from all this? Well, first of all, a lot of the things ChatGPT points out are items that I believe need assistance. Mental health here in Iceland does need assistance, the waiting lists are long, and getting a diagnosis is hard, I know from experience that getting one for ADHD has been many years in the making and I’m still not done with it.
So I think that might be a starting point. But then there’s also the disaster angle, I already have a project in that area myself (see here) and I want to take it even further or just actually make it work at all. It’s been 3 years since I last looked at the thing and I think it might be high tide to check it out again.
Well, the project in question is called “v0xb0x”. The play-on word here is that the o’s are zeros instead, meaning that this would work for someone without a voice. Vox in Latin is translated to “voice”. v0x is also a nick I used to use way back in the old days of IRC.
My plans for the project were always to make a ready-made script / ISO image to install a completely off-the-grid solution to manage filesharing, communication and more, whilst also making sure everything is encrypted and secure.
The world we live in is not stable, there is a lot of unrest and wars are going on in various places on the globe. So I think it might just be the correct project to work on for now.